Kaliym A. Islam, Ph.D., Curriculum Vitaekislam@mac.com · https://www.linkedin.com/in/kaliym/ 813.777.7405 · Lithia, FL 33547
An accomplished Administrator, Instructor and Educator with expertise in corporate education and demonstrated success in the development of students. Dynamic, highly accomplished learning leader with proven expertise setting and executing ambitious education and development strategies that enable the attainment of high-reaching educational goals. Extensive experience in the creation and design of successful educational programs with a track record of delivering positive results. Known for consistently meeting or exceeding annual student progress goals and institutional milestones. Proven ability to build innovative programs and coursework that foster learning and meet the needs of a diverse groups.
Ph.D. Higher Education, emphasis Training, Development, and Consumer Marketing Northcentral University | Prescott, AZ | 2017
M.Ed. Educational Leadership, American Intercontinental University | Phoenix, AZ | 2010
BS, Vocational Education Studies, Southern Illinois University | Carbondale, IL / 1992
AA, Applied Logistics, COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF THE AIR FORCE |1990
Teaching/Learning Experience Highlights
(Experience is further detailed in professional experience)
- Adjunct instructor at two universities.
- Delivered technical workshops and keynotes presentations globally.
- Delivered in person and on-line instruction to financial service employees of the world’s largest post trade infrastructure organization.
- Delivered train the trainer programs to prepare SMEs to deliver on-line and face-to- face instruction.
- Developed instructional materials to support financial service education programs.
- Developed technology curriculum for teachers in the NYC Department of Education.
- Math Instructor NYC public schools.
ADJUNCT PROFESSOR – SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY | Carbondale, IL | • 2018 – Present
Provides classroom instruction on various disciplines and topics using a variety of teaching aids, such
as lectures, discussions and videos to engage students in active learning.
• Instructs cohort classes of undergraduate students in accelerated workforce education programs.
• Stimulates class discussions and encourage active learning in all students.
• Maintains class syllabus, assignment logs, and additional student material on D2L.
• Participates in meetings with faculty to discuss departmental goals and upcoming events
• Write learning objectives using Bloom’s taxonomy that support course and program outcomes.
• Plans lectures, assignments, and in-field experiences to collaborate with necessary course curriculum.
ADJUNCT INSTRUCTOR – AURORA UNIVERSITY |Aurora, IL | • 2018 – Present
Instructs and facilitates meaningful activities for graduate level Strategic Operations online
courses including weekly discussion threads, Web Quests, notes, reading assignments, lectures,
quizzes and exams.
• Locates high quality content, such as video lectures, presentation files, multimedia, web resources,
• Develops and adjusts course syllabus according to curriculum and university guidelines.
• Fosters an on-line environment conducive to learning and character building.
• Prepares, administers, and grades exams and assignments to evaluate student progress.
• Attends staff meetings and training programs as specified by the program of directors.
• Experience in Video Teaching and Teleconferencing
DEPOSITORY TRUST & CLEARING CORPORATION · NY, NY | Tampa, FL · 2000 – 2017
Executive Director, 2014 – 2017
Oversaw a budget of $15.3 million and orchestrated the actions of five global directors to ensure the success of six learning organizations that supported SIFMU, Global and Emerging Markets, and Omgeo business units. Leveraged best of breed capabilities to integrate client learning organizations of Omgeo and DTCC. Served on corporate committee tasked to oversee the company’s web portal strategy.
- Managed the redesign of the corporate customer learning center and improved customer satisfaction from 91% to 97%.
- Introduced Agile as a learning development methodology and increased the number of learning solutions delivered to clients by 60% while reducing the time required to develop solutions by 40%.
- Introduced Net Promoter Score (NPS) as a customer loyalty metric for training programs and achieved an NPS score of 86%, nearly 70 points higher than the banking industry average.
- Achieved a 150% increase in learning product usage between 2014 and 2015 (282K to 721K page views).
- Grew revenue from $72K in 2012 to over $225K in 2016.
Vice-President , 2007-2014
Owned a budget of $10 million and guided 6 direct reports in the transformation of the organization from a cost center into a business unit. Supported the expanding global business of the company through strategic planning, international training, and the coordination of distributed teams. Obtained service-level agreements with each of the supported product areas. Formed a corporate advisory board for learning. Served as a consultant to assist the Canadian Depository to develop and deploy a certification program to customers.
- Improved overall customer satisfaction from 85% to 91% and improved e-Learning satisfaction from 71% to 85%.
- Reduced the cost to develop e-learning programs by 18% and help files by 26%.
- Increased the number of students trained by 21% and increased the number of classes they took by 47%.
- Grew revenue generated through training programs from $63,000 in 2006 to $178,000 in 2008.
- Served on a corporate committee that set the corporate policy for web 2.0 technologies.
- Provided training support to the Central Depositories of South Korea, Chile, Japan, Peru, Canada, and the Hong Kong Clearing Corporation.
- Achieved all strategic targets while operating the organization 6% under budget for two consecutive years.
Spearheaded the development of all learning application development and technology, including product documentation, e-learning, help files, product simulations, content, and learning management systems. Coordinated cross-functional teams to ensure project success. Re-trained staff and upgraded their skill sets.
- Re-engineered development platform and technical infrastructure for help file development process. Achieved a 75% decrease in travel costs by converting all instructor-led training to electronic delivery.
- Implemented design & development standards for e-learning that resulted in a 50% decrease in the time required to train new employees. Increased development productivity by 392% in a three-year period.
- Decreased e-learning development costs by 50%.
- Spearheaded the selection and deployment of the organization’s first enterprise learning management system including the design and development of a financial services curricula for banks and brokers that resulted in a new corporate revenue stream. Generated $140K in new business.
Manager, Technical Training – LEWCO SECURITIES |Jersey City, NJ | · 1998 – 2000
- Founded company’s technical training department
- Conducted organizational needs analysis
- Developed technical training curriculum for the brokerage house
- Designed and developed technical training courseware
- Delivered technical training instruction
Math Instructor – NYC DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION| New York, NY | · 1993 – 1998
- Designed and implemented interactive math lessons using new technologies for the school
- Created an ambitious, data-driven, long term goal for 160 students to reach an 80% mastery of all state benchmarks in multiple areas of high school mathematics
- Successfully increased pass rates on standardize testing to 100% for Juniors, 70% for Sophomores, and 100% for Freshman
- Assessed, recorded, and reported student development and progress and formulated strategies to assist struggling students
- Collaborated with the math department team for curriculum planning and student assessment
Logistics Specialist – US AIR FORCE · 1985 – 1993
- Effectively managed oversight of over $20 million dollars in equipment ranging from vehicle fleets to weapon systems while also maintaining 100% accountability of all systems with zero losses.
- Mastered the logistics supply chain systematic process
- Oversaw the training curriculum and process of all newly hired employees, ensuring that all were training appropriately on all logistics supply chain functions and processes.
- Orchestrated complex fielding process under the Total Package and Fielding (TPF) concept, resulting in a commendation for facilitating the equipment test phase to sustainment operations (lifecycle logistics) ahead of schedule.
Research and Publications
- Should Loyalty be the New Measure of Training ROI?com, August 2017
- The Inclusive Model for Training Retentioncom, July 2017
- The Dollars and Sense of Extending Employee Training to Customerscom November 2016
- Using Agile Learning Design to Align Training Programs With Business Objectivescom July 2015
- Agile Training Equals Strategic Trainingcom September 2014
- Why Trainers Should Use Agilecom July 2014
- Demonstrating Training’s Valuecom May 2014
- The Need For A New Approach to Measuring Training’s Impact com April 2014
- Personalizing Learning Solutions with Agile User Storiescom December 2013
- Five Steps Introducing Agile into a Training and Development Environment com October 2013
- High Customer Satisfaction Scores Might Make Your Training Organization Obsoletecom September 2013
- Using Video to Create Connection, Alignment and Transparency in the Remote Workplacecom August 2013
- Developing Training With What You Carry In Your Pocketcom April 2013
- Attention Span and Performance Improvementcom March 2013
- Why Instructional Theory Must be Married to New Technologycom February 2013
- To Scrum or Not to Scrum: Thoughts on a Different Approach to Instructional Design January 2013
- The Real Reason Training Doesn’t Have a Seat At The Tablecom November 2012
- Developing and Measuring Training The Agile Waycom August 2012
- Aligning Learning Solutions With Business Issuescom March 2012
- Developing a Training Digital Nervous System Training Industry Quarterly Spring 2012 Edition
- Military Leadership Focus Magazine October 2011
- The Strategic Value of Customer Training Training Industry Quarterly August 2009
- Listen Up: A How To Guide for Podcasting CLO Magazine August 2008
- A Challenge to Training Professionals Training Industry Quarterly April 2008
- Improving Organization Performance With Podcasts CLO Magazine March 2007
- Designing an Effective Certification Program Learning + Training Innovations Magazine, April 2005
- Project Management for Trainers Learning + Training Innovations Magazine, March 2005
- “True Return on Investment” Learning + Training Innovations Magazine, January 14, 2005
- Is Kirkpatrick Obsolete? Alternatives for Measuring Learning Success Learning + Innovations Magazine, February 2004
- Gaining Business Value from E-Learning CLO Magazine, January 2004
- E-Learning the Six Sigma Way com, April 2003
- Is E-Learning Floundering? E-Learning Magazine, May 2002
- The Field Guide to the 6Ds: How to Use the Six Disciplines to Transform Learning into Business Results. (2014). Contributing Author, Wiley, San Francisco, CA.
- Agile Methodology for Developing and Measuring Learning (2013) AuthorHouse, Bloomington, IN
- The Encyclopedia of Human Resource Management Volume 3 (Contributing Author) (2012) Pfeiffer, San Francisco, CA.
- Podcasting 101 for Training and Development (2007) Wiley, San Francisco, CA.
- Developing and Measuring Training the Six Sigma Way (2006) Wiley, San Francisco, CA.
- Branding, a Leadership Essential Florida Sterling Council Annual Conference, Orlando Florida, May 2017
- Current Trends in Financial Service Education Financial Service Training and Development Conference, Boston MA. March 2017
- Enhancing the Client Experience Florida Sterling Council Annual Conference, Orlando Florida, June 2016
- Final Score: Ensuring a Great Client Experience Florida Sterling Council Annual Conference, Orlando Florida, June 2015
- Client Experience 101 Florida Sterling Council Performance Improvement Conference, Tallahassee Florida, February 2015
- Agile Methodology For Developing And Measuring Learning Financial Service Innovations in Training and Development Conference, Philadelphia, PA, October, 2014
- Creating a Training Digital Nervous System Mzinga Web Conference, September 15 2011
- Meeting Customer Requirements With Web Interactive Guides HB Knowledge Management Seminar, NY, NY May 2011
- Developing a Training Digital Nervous System Mzinga Financial Services Focus Group, NY, NY April 2011
- A Pragmatic Approach to Training Evaluation NY ASTD, NY, NY – April, 2011
- Social Networking 101 Philadelphia Area ASTD LaSalle University, NJ – March 2009
- Six Sigma for Training and Development ISPI of the Carolinas, Raleigh, NC – January 2009
- Six Sigma As A Tool To Support ISD PDA Conference, New Orleans, LA – May 2008
- Six Sigma in the HR Function HRPAO Conference, Toronto Canada -January 2008
- Training and Measurement Training Outsourcing Conference, Orlando, FL – November 2006
- Six Sigma and Training Lean Six Sigma Conference, Cleveland, Ohio – October 2006
- The Business of Training ASTD DC Chapter Conference, Washington DC – October 2006
- Developing Training The Six Sigma Way IQPC Innovative Instructional Design Conference, Sydney, Australia – May 2006
- Innovation in Instructional Design University of Chicago Business School, Chicago – July 2005
- Applying Six Sigma To Training Programs Six Sigma in Financial Services Forum, New York – April 2005
- Six Sigma’s Application to Training Financial Services Six Sigma Conference, NY- April 2005
- Developing Training Programs Using Six Sigma Financial Services E-Learning Conference, New York – February 2005
- Linking Learning to Corporate Strategy Corporate University Week, Orlando Florida- November 2004
- E-Learning the Six Sigma Way TechLearn, New York – September 2004
- E-Learning as a Business Process Conference Board of Canada Learning and Development Conference, Toronto, Canada – February 2003
- HR & Training Award, Learning Management Systems, Corporate Vision Magazine, 2016
- Training Workforce Management Award, Brandon Hall, 2016
- Strategic Training Practitioner Award, Chief Learning Officer Magazine, 2015
- Learning Elite Award, Chief Learning Officer Magazine, 2012, 2014-2016
- DTCC Leadership Award for Diversity and Inclusion 2011
- Training Industry Times“ Most Influential” Nominee 2007
- Recipient, Community School District 32 Gift of Time Award, 1997
- Recipient, The Horace E. Green Award, 1997
- Cited by the City Council of New York for innovative work as an educator, 1997
- Diamond Award Jackie Robinson Center for Physical Culture, 1993
Florida Sterling Council – Board of Directors
The Crescent Foundation – Board of Directors
Sigma International Leadership Academy – Faculty Member
Training Industry Quarterly E-zine – Editorial Board
CLO Institute Advisory Group – Board Member
MetroSet – Board of Directors
Project Management Institute – General Member
Association for Talent Development – General Member
Certpoint Forum – Advisory Council
CLO Magazine Business Improvement Board – General Member